Real estate zoning allows those with a keen eye, creative mind, and delayed gratification to transform a once-vacant warehouse into a massively profitable multifamily deal. While this isn’t as easy as the simple buy-and-hold strategy of real estate investing, it can generate far more profit, equity, and appreciation than buying a single-family home or even multifamily buildings outright.
J Scott joins David Greene to talk with Dan ‘The Real Estate Man’ Harvey, who has been using this multifamily conversion strategy for years after he realized how many vacant commercial properties were being under-analyzed by investors. The tactic isn’t too complicated: find a commercial property with the right zoning, convert it into multifamily housing, stabilize, refinance, and do it again! Dan says that this strategy is a slight off-shoot of the ever-popular BRRRR strategy, but with FAR more upside.
Even if you know nothing about zoning, construction, or analyzing big deals, Dan will help you navigate how to do your first multifamily conversion in this episode. He even gives a direct callout to anyone who wants to help him and learn from his experience!
Click here to listen on Apple Podcasts.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Read the Transcript Here
Watch the Episode Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
In This Episode We Cover:
- Understanding the different types of zoning codes in your area
- Finding the “best use” of a property and using that to siphon off maximum profit
- How “By-Right” zoning allows investors to fully capitalize on a property’s best use
- Calculating future rents and value of a property after a multifamily conversion
- Combining residential and commercial space to eliminate vacancies on your property
- Building a team and finding a mentor that will give you the knowledge to grow
- And So Much More!
Links from the Show
Books from the Show
Connect with Dan:
Can’t Find a Deal? Here’s How to “Make a Deal” with Daniel Harvey is written by The BiggerPockets Podcast for www.biggerpockets.com